Household loses residence to fireplace brought on by lightning
TARPON SPRINGS, Fla. — A household with two younger youngsters misplaced their residence in Tarpon Springs and almost every thing in it to a hearth that was brought on by a lightning strike.
In a cut up second, every thing modified for the Stephenson household: Kailyn, Adam, and their two younger boys, a 4-year-old and an 18-month-old.
“Lightning struck very loudly, very shut, and I knew instantly that we have been a direct hit,” mentioned Kailyn Stephenson. “I mentioned, ‘Adam, we have been simply hit by lightning.’ And he goes yeah that was actually shut. And I mentioned, ‘No, no, we have been simply, our home was simply hit by lightning.”
They obtained up and began to test the home when Kailyn says she may quickly odor one thing electrical.
“By the point I got here midway again down the steps, smoke was billowing out of that vent there, the AC vents, and at that second, we knew that we had certainly caught on hearth and wanted to get out of the home,” mentioned Kailyn.
Tarpon Springs Fireplace Rescue believes a lightning strike was responsible. After the strike, the household helped alert neighbors to the hearth.
“We have been throughout our method with our neighbors. There was a time you couldn’t even see our home, the smoke was so thick and so dangerous,” mentioned Adam Stephenson.
When the household was lastly capable of get inside, they have been greeted with soot, ash, and particles. Kailyn says belongings had been waterlogged whereas their house is a complete loss and almost every thing gone with it, together with furnishings, sentimental gadgets, and the irreplaceables.
“To me, it’s materials stuff, however we invested our time to make it a home to stay in, and once we obtained right here, it was simply three to five inches of simply soot, nasty simply slush on the bottom,” mentioned Adam. “At some point, I noticed the ground, and it’s like, we’re going uphill. It’s like working by means of quicksand, however we’re getting there.”
Kailyn says a home hearth has at all times been her primary worry and defined how getting by means of this course of has been devastating.
“I can’t take into consideration the massive image as a result of after I do, it’s an excessive amount of. It’s overwhelming,” mentioned Kailyn. “That is overwhelming, to start with, however it’s greater than I can take.”
The household explains they don’t have house owner’s insurance coverage, and as an alternative, they’re left to rebuild their lives whereas they attempt to salvage what they’ll.
To assist help the Stephenson household, a GoFundMe has been set up by relations, which lists different choices to donate as properly. Right now, the household says they’re holding off on donations like garments, toys, and home equipment whereas they rebuild.
For questions on different methods to lend a serving to hand, contact [email protected]